Like many not-for-profits, CELA is registered as a company limited by guarantee under the Corporations Act 2001. It is governed by both that Act and its constitution which is registered under that Act.
The constitution provides for the basic structure and corporate governance of an organisation. It is adopted by the members and can only be changed by them.
Some of the matters covered by the Constitution are:
- the name of the organisation;
- the objects for which the organisation exists;
- eligibility to become a member and how one becomes a member;
- the powers and duties of the board of directors and how one becomes a director;
- meetings of the members;
- the annual general meeting and the business to be dealt with at it; and
- financial records and reporting.