CELA chair Wendy Lindgren received an Order of Australia for her service to the community in this year's King's Birthday Honours List. The King's Birthday Honours List recognises Australians who have demonstrated outstanding service or exceptional achievement.
Wendy's passion for early childhood education is evident in her long-standing involvement with CELA, where she has served in various leadership roles, including Chairperson since 2015 (she was recognised as Inaugural Life Member in 2008). Equally impressive is her significant contribution to other educational and professional associations, including Children's Services Community Management and the Alliance of Children's Services, and her substantial work with TAFE New South Wales.
In addition to her professional accomplishments, Wendy's service extends to various other community engagements. She served as the President of the Willoughby Symphony Choir from 2007 to 2017, and she was a Foundation Convenor for the Women's Electoral Lobby in Newcastle from 1972 to 1976. Furthermore, her involvement in diverse committees, including the Orchestra and Choir Advisory Committee for the Willoughby City Council and the University of Newcastle Sydney Alumni Chapter, reflects her multi-faceted commitment to community enrichment
When asked how she felt about the honour, Wendy was incredibly modest, saying, "I feel embarrassed and chuffed that anyone would put me forward for the honour. It is nice to know that ordinary people can be recognised for doing ordinary things."
Below are the list of activities that Wendy was honoured for:
MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION
For service to the community through a range of organisations including:
Community Early Learning Australia (formerly Community Child Care Co-operative (NSW))
- Chairperson, since 2015.
- Deputy Chairperson, 2008-2009.
- Director, since 2007.
- Inaugural Life Member, 2008.
- Member, since 1991.
Children's Services Community Management
- Chairperson, since 2017.
- Board Member, current.
Alliance of Children's Services
- Chair, 2007.
- Foundation Chair, Management Committee, Children's Services Central.
TAFE New South Wales
- Division Head, Child Studies, 1987-1990.
- Branch Head, 1990.
- Industry Specialist, Child Studies, 1991-1997.
- Senior Head Teacher, Child Studies, 1982-1987.
- Teacher/Head Teacher, Child Studies, 1976-1981.
- Member, Australian College of Educators.
- Member, Australian Council of Educational Administrators.
- Member, Australian Vocational Education and Training Research Association.
- Member, Early Childhood Australia.
- Member, New South Wales Teachers Federation
Willoughby Symphony Choir
- President, 2007-2017.
- Vice-President, 2006.
- Member, since 1998.
Women's Electoral Lobby, Newcastle
- Foundation Convenor, 1972-1976.
- Member, since 1972.
Community - Other
- Member, Orchestra and Choir Advisory Committee, Willoughby City Council, 2008-2019.
- Convenor, University of Newcastle Sydney Alumni Chapter, 2004-2009.
- Member, Education Committee, New South Wales Bar Association, 1994-1996.